Frequently Asked Questions

Answer all of your questions

General Questions

TK through 12th grade
Horizon Charter Schools is a FREE, publicly-funded school.
Simply visit the Enroll Now page and fill out the online application.
Sometimes we have a waiting list for specific programs. You may contact us to check for availability.
Yes! Instructional Funds are $3,000 per student per year.  Instructional Funds can be used for educational purposes through our approved vendors. Once your child is enrolled, your Supervising Teacher will explain the purchasing process and guidelines for using student funds.
We will request your student’s official cumulative file after your student is enrolled as an active student. We must have a birth certificate, proof of residency, and other required documents on file before records can be requested.
Your previous school should have a copy in the official student cumulative file. If not, you can purchase a copy from the county office records department where your child was born.
Transcripts should not be held due to fines from another public school, let us know and we will reach out and request a copy on your behalf.
No, your child should remain enrolled in their current school until you sign a Master Agreement with Horizon. 
You can contact the Admissions Department directly at 916-408-5210.
Yes! Your Supervising Teacher will meet with you on a regular basis. They will also help you develop a personalized learning plan, order curriculum, and set up group educational activities. In addition, we provide a Parent Educator to help you teach specific subjects or work with children with different learning styles, Educational Partner businesses for supplies and classes, and much, much more!
Yes! Each student has a personalized learning plan that reflects the child’s interests, aptitudes, and abilities.
Computers may be issued to your student as needed. Check with your Supervising Teacher for assistance.
Starting January 1, 2021:
  • Medical exemptions can only be issued through the California Immunization Registry – Medical Exemption website (CAIR-ME) by physicians licensed in California. 
  • Schools and child care facilities may only accept from parents new medical exemptions that are issued using CAIR-ME.

High School

Contact your child’s previous school and ask for an official transcript.  If your high school student has graded work in the current semester, please provide current grades as well as the transcript.
Yes! We offer A-G approved courses for California State University (CSU) and University of California (UC) eligibility. Horizon students are encouraged to take the highest level of rigor that is available to them in order to ensure that all of our students are College/Career ready.
Horizon maintains an approved National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) course list. NCAA tracks eligibility for students who want to participate in Division I or Division II sports in a 4-year or community college. Students must complete an academic core program of 16 college prep (A-G) classes in high school, meet score standards for ACT or SAT college entrance examinations, and register with the NCAA eligibility center during 10th or 11th grade.
Yes! Attending a WASC (Western Association of Schools and Colleges) accredited school is extremely important, especially during the high school years. The credits your student earns at a WASC accredited school are transferable to traditional schools. Accredited institutions are evaluated extensively and conform to general expectations of performance and quality. Because accreditation requires continual self-evaluation, frequent reports, and periodic external review, you can rest assured that the educational quality of programs and services offered by the institution are current, reflect high standards of quality, and are offered with integrity.
Students need to complete 220 credits in specific subjects to graduate.  Here are our graduation requirements.
Yes! Students who meet specific requirements and have approval from their Counselor may take college courses for free.
Yes, Horizon offers three (3) Career Technical Education (CTE) Pathways that require students to complete a defined course of study in a specified industry sector. Four 1-semester Courses (20 credits total) are required to complete a CTE Pathway, including an Introductory course, 2 Concentrator courses, and a Capstone course plus aligned participation activities. CTE courses fulfill High School Career Education credit requirements, and students will receive a “CTE Certificate” for each CTE Pathway completed. All HCS CTE courses use an online curriculum to guide the student's learning. Teachers and students have direct access to course materials, and parents can request "Observer" access to check progress and grades.
CTE courses are also available through local county CTE programs. Enrollment in these programs may be limited, but worth looking into if your high school student is interested in gaining hands-on vocational experience. Registration in county CTE programs requires approval from your student's Counselor.
Yes! Students may work if they are eligible for a work permit and continue to make satisfactory academic progress. The work permit form and instructions are available on the Counseling page of the Family Hub.
Horizon Charter Schools has a graduation ceremony yearly. Students wear traditional caps and gowns. Family members, friends, and relatives are welcome to attend the ceremony. It’s an exciting event!