Families Interested in Applying Encouraged to Join Wait List
With the passage of AB 77 and SB 98 legislation, which changes funding for California schools, Horizon Charter Schools made the difficult decision to suspend enrollment for new students effective Friday, July 24, 2020 at 4:00pm PST. Families who are interested in joining Horizon for the 2020-2021 school year are encouraged to submit an online enrollment application along with all necessary documentation in order to be put on our wait list.
Please note that completing an application for enrollment and submitting documentation does not guarantee placement at Horizon Charter Schools.
Below is a letter sent to all Horizon Charter Schools’ students, families, faculty and staff from Dr. Cynthia Woods, EdD, Horizon’s Superintendent and CEO.
Due to recent changes with the direction of California state funding for schools, educational institutions are in a position to have to put holds on new enrollment. At this time, we do not know if this direction will be modified or overturned. Therefore, and until further notice, after much review of the AB 77 and SB 98 legislation and of the current Horizon Charter Schools’ enrollment, Horizon Charter Schools will enter the following:
- The enrollment process will continue through the close of business (4:00pm PST) Friday, July 24, 2020.
- The temporary closure of enrollment will be effective beginning July 24, 2020 at the close of business (4:00pm PST).
- The week of August 24, 2020, we will review the status of enrollment for further direction.
Current Status of Enrollment Applications and Wait List
- Enrollees with a completed application including all necessary documents submitted prior to the closure on July 24, 2020 will receive first priority in the order of the submission of a completed application that includes all necessary documents.
- Sibling enrollees (i.e., siblings of current Horizon students) that submit an application and supporting documents no later than August 28, 2020 will be admitted. Staff who desire enrollment for their own children are included with this acceptance.
- Other new applications (i.e., not siblings of current Horizon students nor children of Horizon staff members) received after 4:00pm PST on July 24, 2020 will be added to a wait list. In order to be eligible for the wait list, completed enrollment applications — including all necessary documentation — must be submitted. Students will be placed on the wait list in the order of submission of a completed application that includes all necessary documents. Students will not be placed on the wait list until a completed application that includes all necessary documentation is received by Horizon Charter Schools.
Necessary documents to achieve a completed application include:
- Immunization records
- Birth certificate
- Proof of residence
- Shared affidavit — if enrollee lives with another family/persons
- Court papers (if applicable)
- TK – 1st grade students: CA Health Exam or waiver
- TK – 1st grade students: Oral Health Assessment or waiver
- Current, signed copy of IEP or 504 Plan (if applicable)
State information is in fluctuation and we are receiving changes daily. So, thank you for your patience.
As a reminder, Horizon Charter Schools will continue with distanced learning for the Fall semester of the 2020-2021 school year. As we receive more information from California Public Health Officials, we will provide an update regarding the Spring 2021 semester.
We are working to keep all of our students, families, faculty, and staff in a healthy and safe learning environment. 🙂
Stay healthy and happy!
Dr. Cynthia D.V. Wood, Ed.D
Superintendent/ Chief Executive Officer
Horizon Charter Schools
2800 Nicolaus Road, Suite 100
Lincoln, CA 9564