horizon-interior-banner enrollment

Enrollment - Frequently Asked Questions

General Enrollment:

Q: What grade levels does Horizon Charter Schools serve?
A: Pre-K thru 12th grades

Q: What is the cost?
A: Charter Schools are FREE public Schools.

Q: How do I apply to enroll?
A: Simply visit the website at www.horizoncharterschools.org and fill out the online application. You can mail or fax in all supporting documents needed.

Q: How long does it take to enroll?
A: Once the completed application is received an Enrollment Specialist will call. They will work with you personally as your advocate during the entire process of enrollment.

Q: How will I know if you have received my application?
A: You will receive an acknowledgement immediately if enrolling online. You will also receive a phone call and letter from your Enrollment Specialist in the Admissions Department who will guide you through the enrollment process.

Q: Can I enroll now for the fall?
A: Yes, applications are available on the website at www.horizoncharterschools.org.

Q: Do you offer student funds?
A: Yes, we have Instructional Funds (IF) that can be used for educational purposes through our approved vendors. Instructional Funds for the 2016-17 school year is $2600 per student for grades K-8 and $2800 per student for students in grades 9-12. Once enrolled, your Supervising Teacher (ST) will explain the purchasing process and guidelines for using the student IF.

Q: Will Horizon send for my student's records when I send in the application?
A: No, you will need to provide a birth certificate, proof of residency, and other required documents with your application. Our office will send for your student's official cumulative file after your student is active.

Q: Is there a waiting list?
A: Sometimes there is a waiting list for specific programs. You will need to contact the program you are interested in directly.

Q: What if I lost my student's birth certificate?
A: Your previous school should have a copy in the official student cumulative file. If not you can purchase a copy from the county office records department where your child's birth took place.

Q: How do I get my high school student's transcript?
A: Contact the previous school and ask for an official transcript. They will provide one for you.

Q: My high school student owes fines at the previous school and they said they will not release an official transcript. What do I do?
A: They will release the official transcript when the fines are paid in full. Your previous school will not release an official transcript to Horizon Charter Schools until fines are paid. This could affect releasing a high school diploma from Horizon until it's taken care of.

Q: After I enroll can I take my student out of his/her current school?
A: No, you need to keep your child enrolled in school until you are contacted by the Admissions Department.

Q: If I have more questions prior to enrolling, whom do I call?
A: You can contact the Admissions Department directly at 916-408-5200x5210.

Q: I have a ninth grade student and a sixth grade student. Will they have the same teacher?
A: Our teachers are credentialed and certified to serve a specific student population. However, we recognize the needs of families who have students in different grades levels and serve them well with carefully selected staff.

Q: At what grade level is it ok to leave my child home alone during the day?
A: K-8th grade a parent is required to be at home full time with their student during school hours.

Q: If I live outside the Lincoln area will I need to travel to Lincoln to see my teacher on a regular basis?
A: No, you will be assigned a teacher in your local area. Horizon Charter Schools have Supervising Teachers in every county touching Placer County.

Q: Will a teacher come to my home for scheduled visits?
A: Teachers are not required to come to your home. Most Supervising Teachers prefer to meet in a public place. This is usually agreed upon during your initial phone conversation or at your first meeting.

Q: If I decide to homeschool my student, how will they stay socially active?
A: The Horizon website (www.horizoncharterschools.org) is a great place to stay up-to-date with current events. We offer a wide variety of social activities including field trips, classes at the regional resource centers, and vendor classes. We also have new programs that offer both academic and social experiences for home school families. Your student can stay very busy!

Q: Why is it important for my student to attend a WASC accredited school?
A: Attending a WASC (Western Association of Schools and Colleges) accredited school is extremely important during the High School years. The credits your student earns at a WASC accredited school are transferable to traditional schools. Accredited institutions are evaluated extensively and conform to general expectations of performance and quality. Because accreditation requires continual self-evaluation, frequent reports, and periodic external review, the public can be assured that the educational quality of programs and services offered by the institution are current, reflect high standards of quality, and are offered with integrity.

Q: Will help be available if needed?
A: Yes, your Supervising Teacher (ST) will meet with you on a regular basis, at least every 20 school days. They will also help you develop a personalized learning plan, order curriculum, and set up group educational activities.

Q: Can my student take online classes?
A: Yes, we have a wide variety of online classes available. Your Supervising Teacher will work with you to determine what the appropriate educational options are for your child.

Q: Can my advanced third grade student work above and beyond grade level?
A: Students have personalized learning plans developed that reflect their interests, aptitudes, and abilities.

Q: We do not have a home computer. Will Horizon offer a computer?
A: Computers may be issued to your student as needed.

Q: What is Transitional Kindergarten (TK)?

A: TK is the first year of a two-year kindergarten program that uses a modified kindergarten curriculum that is age and developmentally appropriate. Pursuant to law, EC 48000(c), a child is eligible for TK if a child will have his or her fifth birthday between September 2 and December 2 (inclusive).

Therefore if a student’s 5th birthday falls after December 2, they will wait to enroll in Horizon until the following school year, at which time they can choose to enroll in Kinder or TK.
Q: At what age is my child age-eligible for Kindergarten?
A: Districts must admit children at the beginning of the school year (or whenever they move into a district) if they will be five years of age on or before September 1 (EC Section 48000[a])

Special Ed General:

Q: Can my student apply to Horizon if they have an active IEP?
A: Yes, Horizon Charter Schools provide Special Education services

Q: What paperwork do I need when applying at Horizon if my student has an active IEP?
A: You will need to provide a copy of your most recent IEP and psychological report.

Q: My student wants to take classes at our local resource center but has an active IEP. Can we still take classes?
A: Of course. Work with your Supervising Teacher and the learning center coordinator.

Q: If my student has an IEP, will services be provided at my home?
A: No, Special Education services are provided at specific locations per your student's IEP.

High School General:

Q: How many credits does Horizon require to graduate?
A: We require 230 credits for graduation.

Q: If my student is credit deficient can he/she make up multiple credits?
A: A normal high school course load is 30 credits a semester. However, if your student is 10 or more credits deficient, they are eligible to take up to 40 credits per semester with Regional Administrator approval. Please ask your Supervising Teacher or Guidance Counselor for specific information.

Q: What is the minimum amount of credits my student can take at Horizon?
A: Your student will be required to take a minimum of 20 credits.

Q: Can my student take college courses while enrolled in Horizon?
A: Yes, however your student must meet specific requirements and have approval from our Guidance Counselor.

Q: Is Career and Technical Education courses (formally called ROP) available at Horizon?
A: Yes, CTE courses are available through local County CTE programs. Enrollment in these programs can be limited, but definitely worth looking into if your are interested in gaining hands-on vocational experience. Enrollment in County CTE programs requires approval from your Guidance Counselor.

Q: Can my student work while attending Horizon?
A: Yes, your student can work if they are eligible for a work permit and continuing to make satisfactory academic progress. See your Guidance Counselor for details.

Q: My student is concerned about missing his/her high school PROM. Does Horizon offer a PROM?
A: Yes, Horizon Charter Schools has a yearly PROM held at various venues. It's a night of glitz and glamour...... a black tie affair!

Q: The graduation ceremony is very important to my student and our family. Will my student miss out on that stepping stone as a Horizon student?
A: No, Horizon has a large combined graduation ceremony every year at the Sacramento Memorial Auditorium. Students wear the traditional cap and gown. We typically graduate about 400 students each year and often have over 2,000 family members, friends, and relatives who attend the ceremony. It's an exciting event!

Q: Can my high school student graduate early?
A: Horizon Charter School does not support graduation dates prior to completing four years of high school. We do however recognize, that some students come to Horizon with additional credits that may enable them to finish a semester early. These situations will be evaluated on a case by case basis and permission by the Guidance Department and Regional Administrators is necessary.

Q: My Child is college-bound, do you offer college preparatory classes?
A: Yes, Horizon has a complete A-G approved list to meet all course requirements for CSU/UC admission.



What They're Saying

It has been rewarding to observe the value of a personalized approach in the education of Horizon students.

— Jennifer Carroll
Regional Administrator




Choose a Language

Connect With Us